Sunday, September 21, 2008

Homecoming

Today was Homecoming at Oakdale. It was great to go "home" and visit. Oakdale Baptist Church really holds special memories for me and my family. I grew up there and learned a great deal. As I reflect back, I can see how God placed each one of my Sunday School teachers, Acteen leaders, and Youth leaders in my life and prepared me for who I am today.

As I sat there with my family I thought back to the day, seventeen years ago, Mr. Porter married my best friend and I. He also dedicated and baptized Taylor. This spiritual led man and his precious wife, Mrs. Rosa, will always have a special place in our family's heart.

I am now a Sunday School teacher and an Acteens leader/helper at a great church, West Edgecombe Baptist Church. I don't know that I would be any of the above had I not had the knowledge I needed about Jesus Christ and the love of a church family. I thank God today for Oakdale Baptist Church and pray that this church will continue to be a blessing to others as it has always been for me and my family.

2 comments:

jamie said...

michelle, you are so right. mr.porter and mrs. rosa are special gems and we are very lucky to know them. homecoming was nice yesterday and the slid show was a trip. thanks for the nice words about obc.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, it was so great to see you yesterday. I agree with you whole-heartedly about Oakdale. The people there are like no other. Roy and Rosa are exceptional people and God has truly blessed us by placing them in our lives. They are a wonderful testimony of His power and grace. Both them and the Oakdale family have been true blessings to our family.

I have only been part of Oakdale's family for a few years now. Roy has baptized all three of my children, :) and he was wonderful enough to help John and I with the renewing of our wedding vows. All are very special memories. And they have been a steadfast support for us through our ups and downs with Nicholas.

I know that West Edgecombe counts themselves among the blessed to have you and your family there working along side them to spread God's word.

I am blessed to call you my friend. I love ya girl!